We prepared for the big storm all day on Friday...pulled in the patio furniture, got out our candles and flashlights, and gathered all our important documents together. And by sunset, the clouds were already starting to roll in.


We started the night off in our bed but by 1 am we moved into our little bunker. I have never heard the wind howl like it did, and Zach says I slept through the worst of it! Don't know how I did that. I was up just about every hour.

Our power went out sometime between 2 and 3am. We did get it back on Sunday night temporarily but only for a few hours...just enough to give us a good tease. But then it came on for good on Monday afternoon. Thank God! I know for some of you, it won't be back on for at least another week. So, while the power was still out, there wasn't much to do but clean up the mess that Ike made outside.

Our pool was a disaster! There were roof shingles and tree branches and you couldn't even see the steps in the spa. So gross. Luckily, Zach wasn't afraid of a little dirt. After checking the chemicals, he actually got in the pool (water socks and all) to scoop everything out. I'm kicking myself for not getting pictures of that :)

Our roof sustained the worst of the damage. We have three spots that are missing shingles. And some water did get in the house so we'll have to repair the sheet rock. But all of our trees made it and everything else is fine so we're counting our blessings.


A roofer came out on Tuesday to cover the roof holes. This will keep the water out until the insurance adjuster can see it and we can get it fixed permanently.


My parents have been staying with us for 2 days now and will likely be here through the beginning of next week. They are without power and have been told to use minimal amounts of water because their sewage system is not operating. So for now, we're all just hangin' out...waiting for life to return to normal!!
1 comment:
Glad to see the pics and hear the stories - and ultimately know you are all ok. I miss you both! Sorry about your roof having a bobo - hope it gets fixed up soon! Tell Mom and Dad Cooney hello from me and Marc...talk to y'all soon.
Post a Comment