
Zach was also away from home--in Galveston with the boys for their fantasy football draft. So, my mom and I spent some quality mother/daughter time together this weekend. We shopped and ate, but the highlight by far was going to see a production of The Wizard of Oz at the Berry Center.

The Wizard of Oz has been my absolute favorite since I was little. In preschool, my best friend Beth and I used to watch the movie almost everyday. My mom says that every time she called Beth's mom to check in on us we'd be watching The Wizard of Oz. When we'd get tired of playing outside, we'd have our snack and put the movie on. So when I saw that the Houston Family Arts Center was putting on this production, I immediately wanted to go.


The Houston Family Arts Center is a fantastic organization that started in 2005, and they put on a number of productions throughout the year. They also have workshops and classes for acting, directing, and much more.
The Wizard of Oz was everything that I expected from the traditional storyline plus a few new songs added in...including a rap number when the Wicky-Wicky Wicked Witch of the West was melted by the bucket of water :) Since no flash photography is allowed during the show, this was the only picture that I managed to take.

I couldn't believe some of the talent that this cast had. Ages ranged from 7 years old on up to adults. Dorothy especially did an outstanding job! She certainly was the star of the show in more ways than one... she's a great singer and a great actress, and she's only 13!! I felt like the paparazzi but I did get a picture of her signing an autograph for a little Dorothy fan.

Another star was the girl (yes, the girl) that played the Cowardly Lion. She was my mom's favorite by far!!

All in all a fantastic show and a fantastic weekend. Thanks Mom!
2 comments:
You two are so cute - tell Mama Cooney I said hello. =) I also am a huge Wizard of Oz fan except for the Wicked Witch - talk about really bad dreams as a youngster - YIKES!
Jill, That was a very special weekend for me, too. All my time with you is so precious. You will know the joy I feel with you in the near future when your little one arrives. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment