Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sandcastle Competition

The 22nd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition was this weekend so we headed to East Beach for the festivities. Here's what was already happening as we arrived at 9am. Pumps were in the water and ready to go, but no sand could be moved until 10am.


After a pep talk from our team leader, we were ready to start building.

Here's our theme...The Eye of the Storm. The idea was to build a huge hurricane headed right for the city of Houston. Pleasant thought, I know.

Here's the wooden form that would create our hurricane.

Filling the form with sand, adding lots of water, and packing it all in...




Other castles under construction:
Check out the height on this one!

And while this was going on at the tent next to us...

This is what was going on at our site...

After pulling the forms away from the sand, we realized that we had neither added enough water nor packed the sand enough. So we had to modify the size of our hurricane.
Building downtown--
The finished product! Our hurricane looks more like a blob than a force of nature. But you get the idea. In front are the highways and interchanges as well as some suburbs courtesy of ice cube trays. Can you spot the Astrodome?

There were 84 sandcastle teams this year. Some castles were traditional while other teams got very creative and fun with their designs. I'm including pictures of some of my favorites.


Remember the really tall one with guys handing on it? Here's what it looked like when time ran out...
HandCastle
Dancing with the Starfish





All worn out and ready to head home...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

OMG - I've been waiting for these pictures... I love it! I can't believe you were in a sand castle competition - it's on my 'list of things to do' - seriously, that looks like so much fun! What did the winning sand castle look like?

ruthie said...

Ah that looks like so much fun! Aaaaaand so much hard work. I am glad it went well. Growing up in Galveston I always wondered who those "weird" people were that took their time to make sandcastles like that. Now I know. :)